Difference Between a Home Care Package and An NDIS Plan
Home Care |
As we get older, our needs evolve, and ensuring a comfortable, fulfilling and healthy lifestyle becomes paramount. In Australia, various support systems have been put in place to assist older individuals in embracing their golden years with dignity, peace of mind, and the help and assistance they need.
Two essential avenues that offer tailored assistance are home care packages and NDIS plans.
But what exactly are these options, and how do they differ? In this post, we’ll unravel the distinctions between home care packages and NDIS plans, helping you make informed choices that resonate with your unique needs and aspirations.
Home Care Packages: personalised care tailored for you
Imagine a scenario where you can enjoy the familiar surroundings of your own home while receiving the personalised care and support you require. That’s precisely what a home care package aims to achieve. Designed to empower older Australians to live independently and comfortably within their own homes, a home care package is a comprehensive support plan tailored to your individual requirements.
To learn more about home care packages, including how to access support today, read this blog about how to access a home care package.
Features of a home care package
1. Customised care plans: Your home care package is tailored to cater to your specific needs, preferences, and goals. Whether you require assistance with daily activities, medical support, or social engagement, your care plan will be designed with your unique circumstances in mind.
2. Assistance with daily activities: From meal preparation and personal care to transportation and household chores, a home care package can cover a wide spectrum of services to ensure your comfort and convenience.
3. Flexibility: As your needs evolve, your home care package can be adjusted accordingly. This adaptability ensures that you receive the right level of care at each stage of your journey.
4. Choice and control: One of the standout features of home care packages is the opportunity it gives you to choose your service providers, as well as the care services you want to receive.
5. Comprehensive support: Whether it’s nursing care, allied health services, or even support for mental wellbeing, a home care package encompasses a holistic approach to your overall wellness.
NDIS Plan: Empowering lives through individualised support
For those who require additional support due to a disability, the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) steps in to offer comprehensive support. Although not exclusively designed for older Australians, the NDIS Plan can provide essential assistance to older Australians living with disability who wish to maintain their independence.
Features of an NDIS plan
1. Personalised support: Like a home care package, an NDIS plan is all about tailoring support to your specific needs. From mobility aids to specialised therapies, the plan is designed to enhance your quality of life by addressing your unique situation and the support and assistance you require.
2. Holistic approach: An NDIS plan doesn’t just focus on the medical aspect of your disability; it extends to social participation, education, employment, and community engagement, fostering an all-encompassing life experience.
3. Support coordination: Navigating the world of disability support services can be overwhelming. NDIS plans often include support coordination, which assists you in accessing and managing the services and supports outlined in your plan.
4. Funding for services: Based on your needs and goals, an NDIS plan allocates funding that can be utilised to access various services, including therapy, personal care, assistive technology, and more.
5. Regular reviews: Your NDIS Plan is a dynamic document that evolves with your circumstances. Regular reviews ensure that the support you receive remains aligned with your current requirements and aspirations.
Key differences: home care package vs NDIS plan
1. Age and eligibility
Home care package: Primarily designed for older Australians, home care packages are available to those aged 65 and over (or 50 and over for Indigenous Australians). Eligibility is determined through an assessment by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).
NDIS plan: The NDIS doesn’t have an age limit; it’s available to individuals under 65 with a permanent and significant disability. Seniors over 65 can access the NDIS if they meet certain conditions.
2. Focus of support
Home care package: Primarily focuses on providing support related to aging, such as personal care, meal preparation, and home maintenance.
NDIS plan: Addresses the specific needs arising from living with a disability, covering a broader range of services that cater to both physical and social aspects of life.
3. Application process
Home care package: Begins with an assessment by ACAT, which determines the level of care required. Once approved, you can choose your service provider and tailor your care plan. For more on this process, read our guide.
NDIS plan: Requires an application and assessment process conducted by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA). The plan is developed collaboratively between you and the NDIA, taking into account your unique goals and needs.
4. Funding and cost
Home care package: The Australian Government provides funding for home care packages, and you may also contribute to the cost based on your financial circumstances. For more on the potential costs associated with home care, read our blog post on how fees are calculated.
NDIS plan: The NDIS provides funding for services and supports outlined in your plan. The funding is not means-tested, and there may be some costs associated with specific services.
Making the right choice for your unique journey
Both home care packages and NDIS plans offer invaluable support for older Australians, each with a distinct focus and approach. When deciding between the two, consider your individual circumstances, goals, and challenges.
Consider a home care package if:
- You’re seeking support that’s tailored to your aging-related needs.
- You value the comfort and familiarity of your own home.
- You’re primarily looking for assistance with daily activities, health monitoring, and maintaining your household.
An NDIS plan may be a good fit for you if:
- You have a disability that affects your daily life and wellbeing.
- You’re aiming to enhance your social participation, vocational opportunities, and community engagement.
- You’re looking for a holistic approach that addresses both the practical and emotional aspects of living with a disability.
As you embark on new chapters of your life, it’s essential to remain well-informed about the support options available to you. Whether you’re considering a home care package to maintain your independence in your home or an NDIS Plan to empower you to live positively with your disability, remember that you have the power to shape your future. Both avenues are designed to provide you with the support you deserve, ensuring that your golden years are filled with comfort, dignity, and joy. Embrace the choice that resonates most with your needs and aspirations, and embark on this journey with the knowledge that the support you need is well within reach.
We’re here to support you
At Respect, we’re passionate about supporting older Australians to ensure the next phase of their lives are filled with purpose and possibilities.
So whether it’s through our network or aged care homes or our home care support options, we are here for you and your family whenever you need us. Your future should shine with meaning, comfort and conveniences — and with our support, you’re backed by over a century of care and consideration for the way you want to live.
We’re here to help! For more information about how to access a Home Care Package and get started with home care support, including the available opportunities and our range of services, download our digital brochure. Got questions or like to receive more support? We’re here to help. Please reach us via our contact page or call us on 1300 144 144.
Book your free no-obligation consultation call
Simply fill in the below form and one of our expert Care Advisors will give you a call within 48 hours to discuss your home care options.
Would you rather talk to us? Give us a call on 1300 144 144